Asphalt or “asphalt concrete” is most commonly used for road surfacing, base courses, parking lots, airfields, runways, etc. Asphalt consists of high quality aggregates mixed with a bitumen binder (or liquid asphalt). While consistency of aggregates is essential to the final results, the properties of bitumen allow for effective recycling, making asphalt concrete one of the most recycled materials.
LafargeHolcim has the experience and expertise in asphalt to meet the requirements of the most demanding projects and diverse applications. Our quality asphalt products are designed to optimize quality, performance, durability, and sustainability for paving and road applications.
In accordance with specifications and national regulations, we developed best practices and innovative tools to protect the environment and lower our asphalt concrete carbon footprint by:
- Maximizing the use of recycled asphalt (RAP),
- Expanding cold and warm asphalt technologies via various methods,
- Formulating optimizations for bitumen consumption, and
- Improving performance and rideability with our polymer modified bitumen (PmB).
Depending on each project need, LafargeHolcim’s asphalt solutions can offer unique performance characteristics such as:
- Sustainable road surface solutions, providing longer pavement life and superior performance, especially in temperate and colder climates.
- Asphalt containing high levels of recycled raw materials, such as old road surfaces, sand, crushed glass, and waste recovered from other industries (tires, railroad ballast, roof shingles). This product reduces the need for natural aggregates and cuts down greenhouse gas emissions over the product's lifecycle while providing excellent mechanical properties.
- Colored asphalt for applications where an alternative color has proved beneficial, such as bus lanes, stopping areas, and cycle routes.
- Highly durable, hard-wearing, impermeable, and resistant asphalt for heavy industrial and commercial applications such as parking lots, loading bays, distribution centers, aircraft refueling areas, bus stations, and parking lots.
- Dense-graded asphalt mixtures designed for pathways, sidewalks, parking lots, and driveways.
- Asphalt with traffic noise-reducing properties for surfacing in and around subdivisions and general residential areas.
- Surface drainage layers and open graded sub-base layers
At the heart of all of LafargeHolcim asphalt products is our commitment to research, testing, and development to ensure a high level of performance delivery.