- Increase transparency on operations and products for all stakeholders
- Standardize and harmonize EPDs across the cement sector
- Achieve greater customer satisfaction
In simple terms, an EPD is a comprehensive disclosure of a product’s environmental impacts associated with the different stages of its life cycle, from its creation and use to disposal, and other relevant information in accordance with recognized international standards. EPDs bring credible transparency because they rely on an objective, scientifically accepted approach and are third party verified and publicly available.
In recent years, LafargeHolcim has promoted standardizing its approach to EPDs, resulting in the development of various online tools, manuals, and best practices:
- In May 2014, LafargeHolcim Romania published three EPDs on their range of cements, ready-mix concrete and aggregates.
- In early 2014, working closely with its customer, Allied Concrete, LafargeHolcim New Zealand helped this client become the first concrete manufacturer to publish an EPD in Oceania. This translated into public recognition, which in turn increased customer loyalty.
- EPDs published by LafargeHolcim Romania contributed to its obtaining the “Very Good” level BES 6001 certification, which has the potential to lead to the addition of two points under the BREEAM scheme when using one of these products.
- Thanks to the EPD publication, Allied Concrete won the “Extra Distance Award 2014” from the New Zealand Ready Mixed Concrete Association. LafargeHolcim New Zealand was instrumental in that success, having provided Allied Concrete with environmental impact calculations using the tools developed by LafargeHolcim in collaboration with the Cement Sustainability Initiative (CSI).