With concrete being the world’s most used material after water, the building materials industry has a lead role to play in addressing the climate crisis. LafargeHolcim is our way to becoming a net zero company, by accelerating green construction and therefore joining the net zero pledge with science-based targets. As part of this commitment we:
- Set ourselves ambitious 2030 climate targets that are validated by the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi);
- Accelerate our reduction in CO2 intensity to exceed 20% (compared to our 2018 baseline);
- Partner with SBTi looking beyond 2030, to support the development of the first climate targets for a 1.5°C future in the cement sector.
CEO Jan Jenisch speaking at the Climate Week NYC’s opening ceremony, explained how LafargeHolcim is accelerating green construction to build a net zero world: “I believe in building a world that works for people and the planet. I will not stop pushing the boundaries to lead the way in green construction.” Beyond the opening ceremony, LafargeHolcim participated in events that discussed the core issues of sustainability in the built environment, including:
- 'Leading A Sustainable Built Environment';
- 'Shifting the paradigm for net zero construction';
- 'Aligning the built-environment with the Paris Agreement 1.5°C scenario.'
See the videos below to follow our activities through this momentous week.