• Solar Impulse Foundation completes its challenge of selecting 1,000 top clean solutions protecting the environment in a profitable way
• Ten LafargeHolcim green building solutions endorsed by Solar Impulse Foundation efficient solution label
• From ECOPact green concrete to 3D printing, LafargeHolcim is recognized as leader in innovative and sustainable building solutions
Ten LafargeHolcim green building solutions are endorsed today by the “Solar Impulse Efficient Solution” label, recognizing world-leading technologies that protect the environment in a profitable way. The labelled LafargeHolcim solutions include ECOPact green concrete, which enables carbon-neutral building; bio-active reef concrete that restores marine ecosystems and 3D printing technologies to accelerate affordable housing and infrastructure.
Bertrand Piccard, Initiator and Chairman of the Solar Impulse Foundation: “I am excited about achieving our 1,000 clean solutions challenge, championing the most innovative technologies around the world that protect the environment in a profitable way. It’s great to see companies like LafargeHolcim committed to implement several of them that are positive for the planet. Given the company’s global reach and scale, it can make a real difference in tackling today’s climate crisis.”
Jan Jenisch, CEO: “I’m very proud of our strong contribution to the Solar Impulse Foundation’s goal of finding 1,000 environmentally positive solutions. With more than half our R&D efforts focused on sustainable building solutions, we are committed to enabling a net zero future that works for people and the planet. Today’s endorsement of our clean technologies is a great encouragement for our teams to keep on pushing the boundaries of innovation for sustainable building.”
In 2018 the Solar Impulse Foundation began its challenge to select 1,000 solutions that can protect the environment in a profitable way, with the aim to present them to decision-makers to fast-track their implementation. Selected solutions receive a label from the Solar Impulse Foundation as proof of their positive environmental and economic impact. Each awarded solution was strictly assessed by a pool of independent experts.
The following ten LafargeHolcim building solutions are recognized as clean technologies by the “Solar Impulse Efficient Solution” label:
- 3D Concrete Printing building more with less for affordable housing and infrastructure: 14Trees, a LafargeHolcim joint venture, is deploying 3D printing technology at scale to reduce the carbon footprint for building affordable new homes by up to 70%.
- Aggneo - recycled aggregates for circular construction: Aggneo is a 100% recycled aggregate that effectively recycles construction and demolition waste without any compromise on performance. This circular solution lowers the carbon footprint of building projects while preserving nature’s resources.
- Airium™ insulating foam for buildings' energy efficiency: Airium™ is a fully recyclable high-performance mineral foam technology that enhances energy efficiency of buildings.
- Bio-Active Concrete restores marine ecosystems: these innovative concrete solutions have been developed for the rehabilitation of damaged coastal ecosystems, in partnership with Seaboost/EGIS.
- Ductal® ultra-lightweight & high-performance concrete building more with less: this high-tech building material offers a unique structure that improves environmental performance and overall resistance compared to more conventional materials.
- Durabric® earth-based low carbon solution for affordable housing: Durabric is a compressed earth stabilized block that does not need firing and thus addresses a major cause of deforestation in Sub-Saharan Africa. Durabric reduces CO2 emissions tenfold compared to traditional bricks.
- ECOPact green concrete for sustainable building: ECOPact is a broad range of green concrete for low carbon and circular construction. ECOPact enables a range of lower environmental performance, from 30% to 100% less carbon emissions compared to standard (CEM I) concrete.
- TerraFlow™ green cement for efficiently backfilling underground mines and tunnels: TerraFlow™is a specialized engineered blend of cementitious materials with a strongly reduced carbon footprint and a high recycled content that allows for more efficient and cost-effective solutions for backfilling in underground mines.
- Kawach high-quality water-repellent cement for water resilience: Ambuja Kawach is a cement that shields against water seepage and chemicals, making structures more durable and sustainable.
- ORIS first digital platform for sustainable road design: ORIS is a material intelligence platform for sustainable road construction. Using ORIS reduces the carbon footprint of road projects by up to 50%.
As the world’s global leader in building solutions, LafargeHolcim is reinventing how the world builds to make it greener and smarter for all. On its way to becoming a net zero company, LafargeHolcim offers global solutions such as ECOPact, enabling carbon-neutral construction and Firestone roofing systems for higher energy-efficiency in buildings. With its circular business model, the company is a global leader in recycling waste as a source of energy and raw materials through products like Susteno, its leading circular cement. Innovation and digitalization are at the core of the company’s strategy, with more than half of its R&D projects dedicated to greener solutions. LafargeHolcim’s 70,000 employees are committed to improving quality of life across more than 70 markets through its four business segments: Cement, Ready-Mix Concrete, Aggregates and Solutions & Products.
About the Solar Impulse Efficient Solution Label
The “Solar Impulse Efficient Solution” Label is the only evaluation available today that guarantees the
economic profitability of products and processes that protect the environment in the fields of water,
energy, mobility, infrastructure, industry and agriculture. It is awarded following a rigorous evaluation
process carried out by a pool of independent experts and based on verified standards covering the
three main themes of feasibility, environment and cost-effectiveness. This powerful tool to facilitate the
emergence of efficient solutions has received global support from institutions such as the UNFCCC, the European Commission, the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), the International Energy Agency (IEA) and many others.
About the Solar Impulse Foundation
Accelerate the adoption of efficient, clean and profitable solutions that reduce our impact on the Planet
while promoting economic growth. Selecting, labeling and promoting innovative, clean and profitable solutions to support political and business decision-makers in their environmental targets is the challenge that Bertrand Piccard has set himself with the Solar Impulse Foundation. The “Portfolio of 1000 Solutions” should enable the adoption of more ambitious environmental and energy policies that protect the environment while creating new jobs and generating profit. A way to take the symbol of the first round-the-world solar flight further and accelerate the transition to a carbon-neutral economy.
Important disclaimer – forward-looking statements:
This document contains forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements do not constitute forecasts regarding results or any other performance indicator, but rather trends or targets, as the case may be, including with respect to plans, initiatives, events, products, solutions and services, their development and potential. Although LafargeHolcim believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions as at the time of publishing this document, investors are cautioned that these statements are not guarantees of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from the forward-looking statements as a result of a number of risks and uncertainties, many of which are difficult to predict and generally beyond the control of LafargeHolcim, including but not limited to the risks described in the LafargeHolcim's annual report available on its website (www.lafargeholcim.com) and uncertainties related to the market conditions and the implementation of our plans. Accordingly, we caution you against relying on forward-looking statements. LafargeHolcim does not undertake to provide updates of these forward-looking statements.